Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Secrets to the Best Hair Around

No, that's not me....
I've been told that I have pretty great hair so I decided I'd share all of my tips to keeping my hair healthy and looking great. Some are pretty common and some maybe a bit more bizarre, but I promise this is all I do for a great hair day.

*Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is the god among the insects of oil. I can't even begin to describe all the ways that it's wonderful. Anyway, once every two weeks I drench my hair completely in coconut oil and it seems to add shine and softness. Watch out! This is a pretty messy process! First, cover yourself in a towel (I recommend only wearing a bra or a T-shirt you don't mind getting a little dirty), then dampen your hair. Put some coconut in your hand and rub it around until it's melted. Then run your hands through your hair focusing on the ends. Repeat this process until your hair is a greasy mess! Then wrap your hair in a towel and chill for 20 minutes until you wash it off. It usually comes off with one shampooing.

Enjoy your lucious, healthy, and shiny locks! You can purchase coconut oil at most grocery stores, but they usually only stock heavily processed oils that don't have all the benefits as unprocessed. Amazon sells my favorite brand.

*Fight the urge to shampoo 

This sounds gross, but I only wash my hair once a week (usually twice in the hottest parts of the summer). Shampoo strips your hair of essential oils which makes dries it out and makes it brittle. I use Dove's shampoo and conditioner, but you can use any brand you like. The first few weeks are going to be rough, your hair will be a bit on the greasy side. After it's been a few weeks, your body will realize it doesn't need to produce so much oil and it won't be so greasy.

I'll all about diving into things, but if you're used to washing your hair everyday, it might be easier to take baby steps. Start washing every other day, then every add another day between washes until you have plenty of time between washings. Everyone produces a different amount of oil, I can go a week without becoming too frighteningly greasy, but someone else might need to wash twice a week and another person might be able to wash less often than once a week. Play around with it and find what works for you!

*Sleep with your hair up 

For whatever reason, I burn up when I fall asleep. I'm talking wake-up-in-a-smiling-pool levels of sweat and we all know sweat leads to greasy hair. To keep your hair from getting greasy every night, just wear it up. Try and use a scrunchie or something that won't damage your hair.

*Leave-in Conditioner

After you wash, add a leave-in conditioner to moisterize and protect your hair.  I love Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum. Just put some, about the size of a quarter, in your hand and message into your hair starting at the roots. You'll have to adjust the amount added depending on the length and type of hair you have. I have long, dry hair so I tend to use quite a bit.  You can purchase this at salons, some grocery stores, or on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment